Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Uneasy soul makes for sleepless nights and productive hands

Woke up at 4:30 in the morning Sunday with a terrible heartache of some sort (not about fiance). Can't explain it, but here is my process of overcoming.

Knowing I can't sleep with this overwhelming feeling I get up and read my bible for an hour and decided that I just needed to get over it.  Ate some oatmeal <3 and I went down into the studio and mixed colors red yellow and blue to calm down.  Don't ever forget how therapeutic mixing paint can be. A nasty gray light yellow green color turned up I felt that I should paint it onto the entire 18"x24"canvas. Very soothing, painting streaky lines can be. While thinking about how I felt and why a verse from the bible came to mind, psalm 55

My heart is in anguish within me;
       the terrors of death assail me.

  Fear and trembling have beset me;
       horror has overwhelmed me.

  I said, "Oh, that I had the wings of a dove!
       I would fly away and be at rest-

  I would flee far away
       and stay in the desert;

  I would hurry to my place of shelter,
       far from the tempest and storm." 

that is why the first one is entitled "The 55th Psalm". -acrylic (even though it looks like a rubber duckie or the twitter icon -haha)

But then I started to hear God's voice a little more clearly. I realize, that there is nothing wrong with wanting to fly away to the desert where there is no rain or storms and hide in the safety, but in those times if you fly straight up through the storm you can soar above it on wings like eagles with God.  And facing your problems while God is hiding you under his feathers, helping you become stronger in facing those uneasy situations helps develop you into the person he is designed you to become.  Then I began this new painting while I started singing a hillsong worship chorus called "still". 

"Still" by hillsong
Hide me now
Under your wings
Cover me
within your mighty hand

When the oceans rise and thunders roar
I will soar with you above the storm
Father you are king over the flood
I will be still and know you are god

Find rest my soul

In Christ alone
Know his power 
In quietness and trust

And I did find rest for my soul and I didn't even finish the painting (notice there is no eagle soaring over the storm -hehe- just imagine it!) "Above the Storm" Work in Progress -acrylic
Then it was 9 in the morning and time for breakfast.... again.

No comments:

Post a Comment